Friday 27 February 2009

Chilling prediction

Today I learnt that geologists predict that there will be another earthquake of similar magnitude as in 2005 (7.9 which incidentally was an estimate from Islamabad because the Reichter scale was, so this reading may even be an underestimate of the actual reading) in March or April this year. Honestly, when I heard this news, I felt sick. I can’t believe it. It is really hard to describe how I felt, but it was something along the lines of sadness for the people who live in the area who are likely to add to the trauma of 2005, helplessness that the people who live here just view it as their fate, and anger that people will die in much the same way as before because the country cannot afford to learn from its mistakes. There was also selfish anger, too, that I had made friends with people who may not actually be around in a couple of months.

It was very surreal to hear people talk about the earthquake like it was some kind of fairground attraction coming to a town near them. Some people even talked about how there is no point carrying out certain activities until after the earthquake.

Ultimately, the various thoughts local people had about the predication is a reflection of their inability to move anywhere safer, their coping style and, dare I say it, their love for their families and Kashmir.

I personally just don't get it.

No comments: